1 an official written record of names or events or transactions [syn: registry]
2 (music) the timbre that is characteristic of a certain range and manner of production of the human voice or of different pipe organ stops or of different musical instruments
3 a book in which names and transactions are listed
4 (computer science) memory device that is the part of computer memory that has a specific address and that is used to hold information of a specific kind
5 an air passage (usually in the floor or a wall of a room) for admitting or excluding heated air from the room
6 a regulator (as a sliding plate) for regulating the flow of air into a furnace or other heating device
7 a cashbox with an adding machine to register transactions; used in shops to add up the bill [syn: cash register]
1 record in writing; enter into a book of names or events or transactions
2 record in a public office or in a court of law; "file for divorce"; "file a complaint" [syn: file]
3 enroll to vote; "register for an election"
4 be aware of; "Did you register any change when I pressed the button?" [syn: record]
5 indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments; "The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"; "The gauge read `empty'" [syn: read, show, record]
6 have one's name listed as a candidate for several parties [syn: cross-file]
7 show in one's face; "Her surprise did not register"
8 manipulate the registers of an organ
9 send by registered mail; "I'd like to register this letter"
10 enter into someone's consciousness; "Did this event register in your parents' minds?"
- A formal recording of names, events, transactions etc.
- A book of such entries.
- An entry in such a book.
- The act of registering.
- A device that automatically records a quantity etc.
- Part of the central processing unit used to store and manipulate numbers.
- The exact alignment of lines, margins and colors.
- The range of a voice or instrument.
- An organ stop.
- (Always voluntary) To sign over for safe keeping. Abandons complete ownership for partial.
- a style of a language used in a particular context
formal recording of names, events, transactions etc.
- Finnish: rekisteri
book of such entries
- Finnish: rekisteri
entry in such a book
act of registering
- Finnish: rekisteröinti
device that automatically records a quantity etc.
(computing) Part of the central processing unit used to store and manipulate numbers
(printing) The exact alignment of lines, margins and colors
(music) The range of a voice or instrument
- Finnish: ääniala
(music) An organ stop
- To enter in a register.
- To enroll, especially to vote.
- To record, especially in writing.
- To express outward signs.
- In the context of "transitive|mail": To record officially and handle specially.
- In the context of "transitive|printing": To adjust so as to be properly aligned.
- To place one's name, or have one's name placed in a register.
- To enroll as a student.
- To make an impression.
- To be in proper alignment.
to enter in a register
- Chinese: 登记 (dēng jì)
- Dutch: inschrijven
- Finnish: merkitä, rekisteröidä
- French: enregistrer
- German: registrieren
- Hungarian: bejegyez
- Italian: registrare
- Japanese: 登録する (とうろくする, tōroku surú)
- Korean: 등록하다 (deungnokhada)
- Portuguese: registrar
- Russian: регистрировать (registrírovat’)
- Spanish: registrar, registrarse
- Swedish: registrera
- Thai: (jòt tábian)
To enroll, especially to vote
- Finnish: ilmoittautua
To record, especially in writing
To express outward signs
- Finnish: ilmaista
To record officially and handle specially
To adjust so as to be properly aligned
- French: recaler
To place one's name, or have one's name placed in a register
To enroll as a student
To make an impression
To be in proper alignment
Register may refer to:
- Cash register, a device for recording retail transactions and storing money
- Register signaling, which communicates the calling and/or called telephone number across a telephone line
- Hardware register, a placeholder for information about some hardware condition
- Processor register, a component inside a CPU for storing information
- Register (linguistics), (see below on this page)
- Register (music), the relative "height" or range of a note, melody, part, instrument, etc
- Register (sculpture), in sculpture, areas segmented with lines, used in Egyptian hieroglyphs, Luwian hieroglyphs, Kudurru boundary stones, etc.
Registration may refer to:
- Image registration, part of computer vision
- Printing registration, part of printing visible colour
- FCC registration program for telephone equipment
- Voter registration, entry onto an electoral roll
- Vehicle registration plate, also known as a license plate
- Aircraft registration
- Licensure required in occupations where maintenance of standards is required to protect public safety
- Registered mail: a trackable mail service available in most countries
- A financial procedure regulated in the US by the Securities Act of 1933
- Becoming, or applying to become, a registered user
- Registration (organ), the art of combining the different sounds of a pipe organ to produce the desired sound
- Vocal registration, the system of registers within the human voice used in both speech and song
- A keyword in the C and C++ languages which denotes that a variable should be located in a processor register
- John Register, a contemporary American painter
register in Czech: Registr
register in Danish: Register
register in German: Register
register in Spanish: Registro
register in French: Registre
register in Galician: Rexistro
register in Korean: 레지스터
register in Italian: Registro
register in Lithuanian: Registras
register in Hungarian: Regiszter
register in Dutch: Register
register in Japanese: レジスタ
register in Norwegian: Register
register in Norwegian Nynorsk: Register
register in Polish: Rejestr
register in Portuguese: Registo
register in Russian: Регистр
register in Slovak: Register
register in Finnish: Rekisteri
register in Swedish: Register
English horn, French pitch, accord, account, account book, accountant, accounts payable ledger, accounts receivable ledger, act, act as foil, active list, adversaria, advise, agree, aide-memoire, amanuensis, annals, annotation, answer to, appear, archives, archivist, arm, armor, assail the ear, assent, assort with, balance sheet, bank ledger, bankbook, barnstorm, bassoon, be consistent, be glimpsed, be heard, be of one, be uniform with, betray, blacklist, bless, block flute, bombard, book, booking, bookkeeper, books, bound, bourdon, calendar, card ledger, caress the ear, carry, carve, cash register, cashbook, catalog, cataloging, catalogue, catch a likeness, cello, chalk, chalk up, champion, character, characterize, chart, check, check in, check sheet, checklist, chime, chromatic scale, chronicle, chronicling, chronology, civil list, claribel, clarinet, clarion, classical pitch, clerk, cloak, clock card, cohere, coincide, come home to, come out, communicate, compass, compass about, concert flute, concur, condition, confine, conform, conform with, conserve, consist with, contact, contain, cooperate, copyright, cornet, cornopean, correspond, correspondence, cost card, cost ledger, cost sheet, cover, cromorna, cushion, cut, cymbel, date slip, datebook, dawn on, daybook, defend, delineate, depict, depth, diagram, diapason, diary, directory, discipline, display, divulge, docket, documentalist, documentation, dodecuple scale, dovetail, draw, draw the line, dulciana, emote, emotionalize, engrave, engraver, enharmonic scale, enlistment, enroll, enrollment, enscroll, ensure, enter, entering, entry, enumerate, enumeration, exhibit, express, factory ledger, fall in together, fence, fend, file, filing clerk, fill out, fit together, flute stop, footnote, foundation stop, fourniture, gain a hearing, gamba, gamut, gedeckt, gemshorn, get across, get over, get through to, get to, get top billing, go together, go with, grave, great scale, guarantee, guard, hang together, harbor, harmonic flute, harmonize, haven, hedge about, height, high pitch, history, hit, hit off, hold together, hybrid stop, impanel, impanelment, impress, incise, index, indexing, indicate, inscribe, inscribing, inscription, insert, insertion, insure, interlock, intersect, inventory, inventorying, item, itemization, itemize, items, jibe, jot down, jotting, journal, keep, keep alive, keep from harm, keep intact, keep inviolate, keep safe, keep score, keep up, key, koppel flute, larigot, ledger, letters, librarian, limit, limn, list, listing, lock, log, logbook, logging, low pitch, maintain, major scale, make a memorandum, make a note, make an entry, make an impression, make known, make oneself heard, make out, make safe, manifest, map, marginal note, marginalia, mark, mark down, marker, match, matriculate, matriculation, measure, melodia, melodic minor, memo, memoir, memorandum, memorial, mime, minor scale, minute, minutes, mixture, moderate, mutation stop, narrow, nazard, nestle, new philharmonic pitch, not destroy, not endanger, not expend, not use up, not waste, notary, notary public, notate, notation, note, note down, oboe, occur to, octave, octave scale, organ stop, overlap, paint, pantomime, parallel, passbook, patent, patter, penetrate, pentatonic scale, perform, philharmonic pitch, philosophical pitch, piccolo, picture, picturize, pigeonhole, pipe roll, pitch, place upon record, play, play the lead, playact, plein jeu, point to, police, poll, portray, posaune, post, post up, posting, preserve, principal, print, program, protect, prothonotary, purchase ledger, put down, put in writing, put on paper, put on tape, qualify, quint, quintaten, radius, range, rank, ranket, reach, reach the ear, read, record, record book, record clerk, record keeping, recordation, recorder, recording, recording instruments, recordist, reduce to writing, reed stop, reflect, register with, registrar, registration, registry, relic, remains, reminder, render, repertory, report, represent, respond to, restrain, restrict, retired list, reveal, ride shotgun for, rohr flute, roll, roll call, rolls, roster, rota, rub, safeguard, sales journal, sales ledger, save, say, scale, scant, schedule, schematize, scholia, scholium, scope, score, scorekeeper, scorer, screen, scribe, scrivener, scroll, secretary, secure, sesquialtera, set down, shawm, shelter, shield, show, shroud, sick list, sign in, sign on, sing in chorus, sink in, sketch, soak in, sort with, spare, specialize, specify, spectrum, spitz flute, square, square with, stand together, standard pitch, star, steal the show, stenographer, stint, stock ledger, stonecutter, stooge, stop, stopped diapason, stopped flute, stores ledger, straiten, stretch, string diapason, string stop, support, suspense ledger, sustain, sweep, symbolize, table, tabulate, tabulation, take a rubbing, take down, take note of, tally, tally sheet, tape, tape-record, temperament, tierce, till, time book, time chart, time scale, time schedule, time sheet, time study, timecard, timekeeper, timetable, token, tonality, tone, trace, trace out, trace over, transmit, tread the boards, tremolo, trombone, troupe, trumpet, tune, tuning, twelfth, unda maris, underwrite, uphold, upstage, vestige, vibrato, videotape, viola, voix celeste, vox angelica, vox humana, whole-tone scale, write, write down, write in, write out, write up